Programs sometimes need to open a file or a URI in the user's preferred application. To open a file in the user's preferred application the filetype needs to be detected (usually using filename extensions or magic numbers mapped to MIME types) and there needs to be an application associated with the filetype.
- Some programs (particularly command-line programs) detect default programs using environment variables, see Environment variables#Default programs.
- Some programs (particularly heirloom UNIX programs) use mime.types for MIME type detection and mailcap for application association.
- Many programs outsource the task completely to a #Resource opener.
Some desktop environments also provide a GUI or a file-manager which can interactively configure default applications. If you do not use a desktop environment, you may need to install additional software in order to conveniently manage default applications.
- XDG MIME Apps: implements the XDG MIME Applications specification
- RegEx rules: allows MIME types to be associated with applications using regular expressions
- URI support: allows arbitrary URI schemes to be associated with applications
|Name||Package||XDG MIME Apps||RegEx rules||URI support|
|whippet||[ AUR損壞的連結：package not found]||是||否||是|
|sx-open||[ AUR損壞的連結：package not found]||否||是||是|
Because of the complexity of the xdg-utils version of xdg-open, it can be difficult to debug when the wrong default application is being opened. Because of this, there are many alternatives that attempt to improve upon it. Several of these alternatives replace the
/usr/bin/xdg-open executable, thus changing the default application behavior of most applications. Others simply provide an alternative method of choosing default applications.
provides the tools 包 and . These have a slightly nicer interface than their equivalents: 包
# determine a file's MIME type $ mimetype photo.jpeg photo.jpeg: image/jpeg # choose the default application for this file $ mimeopen -d photo.jpeg Please choose an application 1) Feh (feh) 2) GNU Image Manipulation Program (gimp) 3) Pinta (pinta) use application # # open a file with its default application $ mimeopen -n photo.jpeg
Most importantly, xdg-utils programs will actually call
mimetype instead of
file for MIME type detection, if it does not detect your desktop environment. This is important because
file does not follow the XDG standard.
provides the tool AUR
mimeo, which unifies the functionality of
# determine a file's MIME type $ mimeo -m photo.jpeg photo.jpeg image/jpeg # choose the default application for this MIME type $ mimeo --add image/jpeg feh.desktop # open a file with its default application $ mimeo photo.jpeg
However a big difference with xdg-utils is that mimeo also supports custom "association files" that allow for more complex associations. For example, passing specific command line arguments based on a regular expression match:
# open youtube links in VLC without opening a new instance vlc --one-instance --playlist-enqueue %U ^https?://(www.)?youtube.com/watch\?.*v=
patches xdg-utils so that AUR
xdg-open falls back to mimeo if no desktop environment is detected.
[ AUR損壞的連結：package not found] provides the tool
whippet, which is similar to
xdg-open. It has X11 integration by using to display errors and 包 to display choices between applications to open.
# open a file with its default application $ whippet -M photo.jpeg # choose from all possible applications for opening a file (without setting a default) $ whippet -m photo.jpeg
In addition to implementing XDG MIME Applications, whippet can also use a SQlite database of weighted application/MIME type/regex associations to determine which app to use.
The following packages conflict with and provide because they provide their own 包
If you want to use one of these resource openers while still being able to use , install them manually in a PATH directory before 包
- - 170-line Bash script, supports regex rules AUR
- - 130-line Bash script, can change command arguments for each MIME type AUR
- - 80-line Perl script similar to mimi but also supports regex rules AUR
- [ AUR損壞的連結：package not found] - 60-line Bash script, uses a simple shell-based config file
xdg-opento delegate to it. This will cause an infinite loop if you are using the
/etc/mailcapfrom , because it also delegates to 包